Which Is Better Plastic or Metal Rain Gutters?
January 06, 2022
Rain gutters represent a home's main protection against moisture related problems. They keep rainwater flowing away from the home's walls and foundations before it has time to pool around the house, saving you many headaches and expenses throughout the years. Seamless Rain Gutters
are especially versatile while allowing more options to preserve the gutter's endurance against external elements.
Both sectional and seamless gutters can be made in a number of different materials, opening new possibilities for those dealing with a tight budget. There are many options to choose from, but most people tend to make a distinction between plastic and metal gutters, with the latter differing in terms of esthetics and durability depending on the metal. In general terms, however, a homeowner will lean towards one of the two initial options depending on their own priorities. Today, we will look at both alternatives to determine once and for all which is the better choice.
Plastic gutters are popular because of their affordability and flexibility. Installing a PVC gutter is ultimately less dangerous than assembling a metal gutter since it's overall easier to maneuver such a lightweight structure below the roof. If you're interested in plastic gutters, here's a list of important things you need to know:
- Flexible: Plastic gutters are built specifically to utilize the material's bending capacities to the fullest. The elasticity of plastic gutters allows to tailor the gutter to every shape and angle, a perk that comes in handy in complex roof layouts. This also means that they are likely to take a hit without fully breaking, making repairs simpler and cost-effective.
- Affordable: Beyond the low price range when it comes to isolated repairs, the installation of the gutter itself is cheaper when you work with plastic. Plastic is more accessible than almost any other gutter material, and it's easy enough to work with, so the labor costs are below what a contractor would charge when using metal, wood, or other heavier materials.
- Great for custom-made gutters: Plastic is malleable, so it can adjust to all gutter styles, sizes, and additional changes. You can also make minor reforms or attach new pieces without much hassle, as well as repaint your gutters as many times as you need (plastic gutters are available in many different colors, so you wouldn't need to repaint unless you plan a complete home renovation).
- They don't corrode: When dealing with plastic, you don't have to worry about the gutters getting rusty after years withstanding sun and rainwater. To clarify, this doesn't mean that the gutter is impervious to other forms of deterioration caused by UV exposure and thermal movement.
Metal gutters remain the most popular choice among property owners, usually keeping their good looks for decades without any repairs in between. Aluminum gutters
in particular are common in both residential and commercial buildings. Here are some advantages that make metal gutters such a great choice:
- Durable and resistant to damage: With regular maintenance, metal gutters can spend decades without requiring any repairs. They are known for staying stable through the most extreme climatic changes, to the point that it's rare for metal gutters to split or break apart if they've been installed correctly.
- Versatile: Metal gutters can be almost as flexible as their plastic counterpart when it comes to installation techniques. They can be customized according to the building's measurements, and the end result serves to increase the whole property's esthetic value.
- Resistant to corrosion: Corrosion is one of the main causes of concern when working with different types of metal. In truth, a professional installation service provides high-quality metals to ward off all sources of corrosion for long periods of time. You can also have the gutter sealed to add an extra layer of protection against the elements.
- Easy to maintain: Because metal gutters are flexible while retaining enough sturdiness to preserve their stability, they can also be customized to achieve maximum accessibility during cleaning and maintenance. Metal gutters are wide enough to hold all the water that falls during a storm, and this makes it easier for owners to check their structure and clean any debris stuck within.
Plastic vs. Metal - Which is Better?
Now that we've gone over the traits that make both materials a viable option, let's revisit some of them in a deeper context. Many of the attributes that make one type of gutter ideal for a particular house may be a deal breaker under certain conditions.
Plastic gutters are malleable, so it's hard for cracks to be deep enough to compromise their performance. Still, this also makes them more prone to sagging, and intense temperature changes can drastically deform their structure until they inevitably start leaking.
As we mentioned earlier, there are no size limitations for plastic gutters. This, however, doesn't mean that a plastic gutter will remain sturdy in its largest format, especially if you expect it to deal with copious amounts of water throughout the year.
Some metals are heavy, and this makes them harder to work with while increasing the overall cost of a gutter installation service
. Luckily, there are enough alternatives to sidestep these problems, like aluminum and zinc.
Professional contractors make the best of seamless technologies when it comes to installing metal gutters. Because of this, it's unlikely for a metal gutter to get eroded around the bolts securing the joints, which adds to their long lifespan. All in all, seamless gutters offer more possibilities to get the expected result while adapting to specific dimensions.
Tired of dealing with peeling paint and rotten foundations? A durable rain gutter system will get rid of your problems, and Rain Gutters Solution is here to help you get the best rain gutters in South Florida. Our specialists ensure the best materials and the latest equipment to make your gutters as functional as they can be according to your property, and we always keep your needs and suggestions in mind while coming up with the perfect gutters for your home. Call (305) 270-7779
or fill out the contact
form on this website to get the best service in South Florida. The professional team at Rain Gutters Solution is ready to surpass all your expectations.
If you found this article helpful then let us know in the comments section below. Likewise, feel free to share it using the share options below. Want us to cover another topic of your interest pertaining to rain gutters? If so, then like us and follow us on social media, and post to any of our social media profiles the topic you'd like us to discuss: Facebook @RainGuttersSolution
, Twitter @Gutterssolution
and Instagram @RainGuttersSolution