Why Rain Gutters Are Essential for Any Property
August 20, 2018
Rain gutters were used for the first time by Romans in 24 BC, they used to make clay bricks to channel water and mud into buckets. Since then, rain gutters have been a vital system to protect your property against a headache for any proprietor: water damage. As time goes by, architecture has experienced many changes and with it so have rain gutters, until they get the appearance they have today.
Sometimes, homeowners consider other features of the house more important – maybe because of disinformation, than having a rain gutter installation
. On this post, we are going to show you some good reasons why it is too important to have a drainage system or to keep the one you already have in good shape. Take a look!
Main Purpose of Rain Gutters
Some homeowners may think that rain gutters are just a decorative element to improve their house's exterior, but actually, their main function is far from mere decoration. From the beginning, their main purpose has been to lead the rainwater from the roof to the downspout until a specific spot in the ground. Sounds easy, but this important process will protect your house from many issues related to dampness in roof, walls, and foundations.
The key of having a rain gutter system working correctly it's a good installation, to ensure that each of its parts is fulfilling its function without any problem and this way you will avoid future headaches such as leaky joints, loose hangers or downspouts too short.
Benefits of Having Rain Gutters
- They protect your house and garden against flooding because rainwater will be redirected to a specific spot, whether you want to collect it or not.
- Your house' foundations will be safeguarded from dampness.
- You won't have standing water which will minimize the pest proliferation.
- Your house won't be an environment for mold to flourish since it will be overflowing free.
- Your house' exterior walls, driveways and walkways will be free from stains and erosion.
- Rain gutters will enhance your home's curb appeal, adding an additional value as well as good taste to your façade.
To properly maintain your rain gutters, they should be cleaned at least two times a year. You can also check regularly for debris that might be causing clogging as well as dents, holes, rusted spots and disconnected joints that can cause leaks and we recommend to hire a rain gutter company to repair it for you. Downspouts should be also checked to make sure they are delivering the water on the right place, this must be at least 5 to 10 feet away from the base of your home.
Considerations to Have in Mind
When it comes to rain gutters, there are certain factors that need to be taken into account to achieve a fully functional system. Characteristics such as rain gutter type, size, and material should be discussed with a rain gutter specialist who can advise you on the right rain gutter for your home or business according to your budget and the property's needs. For example, K-style and half-round rain gutters are recommended for residential use, while box rain gutters are suggested for commercial purposes. If you live in a rainy area, then K-style rain gutters might suit your house better since they have a greater capacity than half-round rain gutters.
The size is another important feature to consider in a rain gutter installation, since knowing the size your property needs is essential to determine the amount of water they can manage and thus, keep them dry.
Consequences of not Having Rain Gutters
If you're still not convinced of the importance of rain gutters to your house, then check out some of the negative outcomes you can expect without them:
- Consequences of not having a rain gutter system can be catastrophic, your property's structural integrity will be threatened since water can damage the foundation.
- Water can flood your house or garden causing your exterior to rot and stain the walls' paint.
- The absence of rain gutters is also a matter of health as standing water in your garden will create an ideal environment for mold and mosquitoes to grow, this will bring diseases to your family putting their health on risk.
- Your roof will be unprotected so dampness can bomb and stain its paint because rainwater is not redirected to flow downward.
As you can see, rain gutters play a vital role in guarding your property and keeping it dry to prevent water damage that can hit your budget very hard. If you don't have a rain gutter system yet, you might be facing any of the problems described above. Luckily, at Rain Gutters Solution we rely on more than twenty years of experience and a team of highly-skilled professionals to provide unparalleled rain gutter installation, repair, and maintenance services, guaranteeing that your home remains dry. Feel free to contact us by calling at (305) 270-7779
or leaving a message in our contact
form below. We look forward to serving you!
If you found this article helpful then let us know in the comments section below. Likewise, feel free to share it using the share options below. Want us to cover another topic of your interest pertaining to rain gutters? If so, then like us and follow us on social media, and post to any of our social media profiles the topic you'd like us to discuss: Facebook @RainGuttersSolution
, Twitter @Gutterssolution
and Instagram @RainGuttersSolution