Best Rain Gutter Cleaning Tips for Before and After Storms
July 01, 2017
Rains are coming.
People don't seem to take this seriously enough. Maybe some have taken the step and installed a rain gutter system to protect their homes and commercial properties. However, having rain gutters alone doesn't cut it. In the face of drenching storms, gutters cannot do their job without a proper rain gutter cleaning
service before and after the rainy season.
Let's be clear: rain gutters that are seldom cleaned and maintained cannot protect your property. They might be clogged with leaves, twigs and other debris. If they have already weathered a few downpours, they might have leaks or loose sections that need readjustments. Either way, when a storm hits, rainwater will overflow and expose your property to water damage faster than you can say "I should've cleaned the damn gutters."
Rainwater won't forgive a little sag in your gutter, nor will it pass over openings or flow through obstructions. If your gutters are not working properly, water will splash your wall paint, get your foundations wet, making them vulnerable, and flood your basement, slowly undermining your property's structural integrity and laying the groundwork for future bank-breaking repairs.
To get the best out of your gutters, you must clean and repair them both before and after the rainy season.
The time before the rainy season is crucial, and it is the best time to get prepared. Here are some of the things you should do before the rain hits:
- Remove debris: Twigs, leaves, granules and other stuff can accumulate in your gutters, especially if you don't have leaf guards in place. Always make sure to check and remove all possible obstructions inside your gutters to minimize the chances of clogging and overflowing. Make sure to use the most adequate equipment while doing so.
- Check for leaks: If your gutters have seen a few downpours, the best thing you can do is make sure they haven't suffered any damage, and that the seams are properly sealed. The best way to detect this problem is to hose your gutters and inspect every foot of your gutters to look for leaks. If you do find them, don't worry and apply a layer of sealant to solve the problem.
- Make sure your downspout isn't clogged: This is really, really important. A clogged downspout is not only one of the main reasons rain gutters overflow, but they are also difficult to detect. To achieve this, hose down your downspout from the top and check that water is flowing freely at the bottom. If this is not the case, use a plumber's snake to get rid of the obstruction.
Performing these three suggestions should get your gutters ready to weather storms like a champ, and give you confidence that your property will be protected until the rainy season is over.
However, rain gutter care must not end here.
If you want your rain gutters to be extra durable, you must do maintenance after the rainy season to determine if there are damages that can be repaired.
- Check for structural damages: Storms can be a piece of work. Strong wings, heavy flow of water, falling debris. Taking this into account, you should check your rain gutters for dents, gashes, debris, loose hangers, and sagging sections that can compromise them. You can conduct the repairs yourself, but for bigger problems, hiring professionals would be a better course of action.
- Clean and unclog: The same as before the rainy season. Clear your gutters of debris, unclog your downspouts, and make sure you'll be ready for the next season.
Taking care of your gutters is instrumental in preventing costly damages on your property, which is why before and after maintenance is so important. Also, if you made a considerable investment on your gutters, you'd want to protect it by enhancing your gutters' durability.
If you need a professional company to perform all the necessary rain gutter cleaning services before the Miami-Dade rainy season is in full swing, contact the team at Rain Gutters Solution. We have over 20 years of experience offering both rain gutter installation and maintenance services in the county. Call us at (305) 270-7779
of fill out our contact
form to get a free quote. To learn more about our services and catch our latest promotions, subscribe to our newsletter
and follow us on Facebook at Rain Gutters Solution
, Twitter @RainGuttersSolution
and Instagram @GuttersSolution