10 Fun Facts About Rain Gutters
February 01, 2018
You already know that rain gutters provide homeowners with a wide array of benefits. The most relevant benefit is protecting your property from costly water damage repairs. It does not matter if you choose regular or custom rain gutters
, the important matter here is that you need to have rain gutters supporting your drainage system on draining away the rainwater to prevent future headaches that could damage your roof, floors, furniture, foundation, and more.
After installing rain gutters, it is important to know that, as a homeowner, you cannot overlook their maintenance. Why? Because it could lead to problems, such as clogged or overflow gutters, leaking pipes, and so much more. So, you need to be careful, if you don't want to put your home at risk.
Now that you know the different issues you could face if you don't have gutters or if you don't properly maintain the ones you have, you should ask yourself: How much do I know about rain gutters? Perhaps, rain gutters are much more fascinating than you think. Don't believe us? Here are ten fun facts about rain gutters that most people do not know:
10 Things You Didn't Know About Rain Gutters
- Did you know that the first gutters were created by ancient civilizations in 3.000 B.C.? They started to drain water from one location to another using a system that they made out of stone, brick, and wood. Furthermore, the first drainage systems to drain water away from streets were used by the Romans! Awesome, right?
- Did you know that gargoyles were used on buildings to act as rain gutters? These gargoyles would direct rain water away from the important areas of the building. Isn't that brilliant? Some people even believed that the gargoyles were also used to ward off evil spirits from the building.
- Wood, lead, and clay replaced the gargoyles gutters in the 1200s.
- Nowadays, rain gutters are produced in a range of materials, such as plastic, steel, copper, and aluminum. Moreover, every homeowner can choose two shapes of gutters: K-Style Gutters or Half-round gutters. Also, they can add types of rain chain like link and cup chains. Homeowners can even add downspouts to the gutters.
- Did you know cleaning your rain gutters can kill you? Organic debris trapped inside rain gutters is slippery and handling it boosts your risk of falling. Hiring professionals to maintain your gutter system neat and tidy can keep you out of the hospital.
- Did you know gutter cleaning professionals find thousands of children's toys inside rain gutters every year? Even though Frisbees, balls, and badminton birdies are the most common, lunch boxes, toy cars, and even Barbie dolls have also been found with no explanation whatsoever of how they got up there.
- Did you know rain gutters were once installed on vehicles to prevent rain from falling on drivers' heads when they exited the car? Located on the roof, the rain gutters dramatically changed the profile of the car, affecting air flow. Therefore, rain gutters were phased out in the 1980s to enhance aerodynamics – but no one seemed to notice.
- Did you know earthworms are often found in rain gutters? No one can explain for sure how they get into rain gutters all the way from the ground. Some people believe that worm eggs can get stuck between birds' legs or the wind and, thus, reach the rain gutters by air travel. The worms hatch once inside the moist, clogged rain gutter.
- Did you know standing water in your rain gutters is a breeding ground for mosquitoes and other pests? That's why you should have your rain gutters regularly cleaned to prevent pests near your home.
- Did you know clutter, cutter, butter, clutter, shutter, and flutter rhyme with gutter, but no word rhymes with eave trough? Eave trough is a more technical terminology used for rain gutters.
Why it is Important to Have Rain Gutters?
As you may know, having properly installed and maintained rain gutters will allow them to drain rainwater away from your house, which will give you, your family and your home a lot of benefits. Nowadays, many people understand the benefits and the importance of rain gutters. That is why, in recent years, rain gutters have become so popular among owners of residential or commercial buildings.
You may ask: What benefits can rain gutters give me as an owner? Well, here you have some of them:
- Soil will remain stable around the house.
- You will prevent foundation issues.
- Prevent landscaping from damaging.
- Floods in the attic might be prevented, as well.
- Sidewalks, patios, and driveways cracking can be lessened.
- You will prevent mosquitos from visiting your home as you will not have standing water anywhere.
- You will prevent roof rot.
Remember, your drainage system will always need rain gutters to work properly. Also, it is important not to try installing or cleaning them by yourself, no matter the situation. It is always better to hire professionals to do the job. If you don't, you will probably regret it.
Are you planning to install or clean rain gutters to prepare your house for the rainy season? We can help you! Rain Gutters Solution has more than 20 years of experience providing rain gutter installation and repair services in Miami-Dade County. Do not hesitate to contact us by calling at (305) 270-7779
or filling out our contact
form. To learn about our latest promotions, subscribe to our newsletter
. For more information about our services, find us on Facebook at Rain Gutters Solution
, follow us on Twitter @RainGuttersSolution
and Instagram @GuttersSolution